image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

What's the Price ($) for my Retirement?


As I save, then invest (and then reinvest), I asked myself how much exactly do I need for my retirement. How much is it necessary for retirement in general?

Is there a magic number? If you ask yourself the question now, how much money do you think you need to retire?

Is it S$1M, 2M, or 5M? I believe the magic number really depends on the type of financial level you would like to achieve. The financial level will also depend on the lifestyle you would like to maintain during your retirement. I remember reading Adam Khoo's Secret of Self Made Millionaires which he articulated 4 levels of wealth.

Read: Four Levels of Wealth - Where are you at?

Many would be familiar with the various terms like Financial Security, Financial Freedom. Financial Independence, Financial Abundance, Absolute Financial Freedom etc. There are just too many terms trying to differentiate the level of wealth/ type of resources to support a standard of living.

Reaching Financial Security

What does Financial Security means to me? To me, it would mean 5 basic things that were paid without having to work to pay for them for as long as I live. These are the 5 things that are essential which includes 1) my home (mortgage); 2) utilities for the home; 3) food (home-cooked food, not fine dining); 4) basic transportation needs; and lastly 5) basic insurance cost.

I believe everyone will feel secured if they knew these 5 basic things were covered.

Short term goal - Financial Security

Most of us need a target to work towards. Without a goal in mind, it is difficult to take actions or plan for anything. Before I reach Financial Security, there is no point talking about Financial Freedom. Achieving Financial Security becomes my "shortest term goal".

Expenses

I mentioned the 5 basic things. So exactly what is my current home loan payment? Next, what is my utility bill each month? Next, how much money do I spend on food? Next, how much do I spend on basic transportation? Last, the amount of money paid for my insurance cost.

Let me estimate my expenses:

1. Home Loan Payment - S$2,269 monthly
2. Utilities - S$300 monthly
3. Food - S$900 monthly
4. Transportation - S$160
5. Insurance - S$884.36

Total monthly expense: S$4.513.36
Total expense in a year: S$54,160.32

So what's the price for my Financial Security?

I would need to have S$54,160.32 a year to cover these items without working. From my calculation, I would need the following amounts in my portfolio with the respective yields to achieve Financial Security:

5% yield - S$1,083,206.40
5.5% yield -  S$984,733.10
6% yield - S$902,672

This gives me a rough estimate and a goal to work towards.I would need to accumulate slightly above S$900k to have that S$54,160.32 a year for the rest of my life.

That will be the basic price for my retirement.

What is your price ($) for retirement then?

Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. I have no answer on the price of my retirement.
    However, I would like to mention that as we grow (old), our types of expenses may change. For instance, the housing loan may be fully paid and the insurance premiums will be mainly for medical expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi starlight, that's for sure. I wanted to have a goal now, which i believe is a higher end goal for my Financial Security. the amount might be way lower.

      Delete
  2. There is one major problem with your illustration, you did not include inflation. Assuming modest inflation of 3% a year, your $54k annual income might be eroded to $40k in 10 years time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi monster, yup, that's something i did not consider. But i hope in 10 years time, the amount in my portfolio will be more than 900k. Anyway, this is just for the purpose of goal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}
    Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete