image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

Switching to UOB One Account


My emergency funds has been deposited in both OCBC 360 and Standard Chartered Bonus$aver account for quite some time now. At the start of the month, I decided to make the effort to open the UOB One account.

UOB One account offers up to 3.33% interest annually for up to S$50,000. Really?

There are always terms and conditions to the interest rate. The interest rates are tiered for the UOB One account. See below.


Source - UOB One Account - How it works?

So the effective interest is no where close to 3.33%. In order to get the highest effective interest rate possible, account holders have to 1) maintain S$50,000 in the account; 2) Spend S$500 on your UOB One Card every month for 12 months; and 3) Credit your salary of minimum S$2,000 monthly or make three GIRO debit transactions monthly.

Fulfilling all the above conditions, with a S$50,000 deposit, we will receive S$1,216 annual interest + another S$200 UOB One Card Cash Rebate.

Source - UOB One Account - Calculator

That will give us an effective interest rate of 2.43% (not considering the S$200 UOB One Card Cash Rebate). Not really the 3.33% on most of their advertisements as shown below.

Source - UOB One Account
Nevertheless, at 2.43%, I decided to move most of my funds to this newly open UOB One account from my Standard Chartered Bonus$aver account.

This will definitely made my money work harder for me. I should have made the change earlier. Just hate the hassle of changing the account, changing the GIRO transactions etc.

One time pain but a good place to park my War Chest. Better late, then Never.

Read:
1. Higher Interest on your Money
2. War chest... oh war chest.. when should I use you?

Share this:

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I also made a switch from standard chartered. It took about 2 to 3 months to effect the whole changes. The longest being HDB, that took me about 2 months plus minus. So if you're effecting the change, makes sure you start early, once it's confirmed, then you cut off standard chartered.

    Btw, I didn't get the one account. Couldn't hit the 500 per month thingy haha, so I'm just using a pre-existing UOB account as my bills paying account instead of scb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, there is some lead time. Applying the card take a while to get approve. I usually pay my insurance with the credit card so I am able to meet the $500. It is just transferring the bills from Stand Chart card to UOB One card.

      Delete