image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

Forgo Your Child Tuition; Invest the $ Instead


Few days ago, I felt so lazy to get out of bed, with my sleepy eyes, I lazed in bed reading a blog post - My talk on Funding your child's University Education at the Lifelong Learning Library.

And this paragraph caught my attention - "Along the way, I was able to blend in some ideas from economists along with some statistics to get parents to start thinking about the opportunity costs of paying such a large amount of money to tuition teachers and enrichment seminars and think about how large this money stash can get if it was invested in the stock market instead. This forms the heart of my dangerous idea : Money paid to tutors and enrichment schools could have been used to pay off dividends starting from the day your child graduates from a polytechnic."

What really got my attention - Dangerous Idea?

Not that I have any kids. But I decided to download the presentation deck to find out more details. The dangerous idea was presented in the following 2 slides (Source: Funding your Child's Education):



I did not attend the talk. My assumption and interpretation will be a tuition-free education environment for the child, relying sorely on the school, the child and the parent (i guess).




Would Singaporean parents actually consider it?

I believe nearly eight in 10 parents with children pay for private tuition in Singapore. The paper chase begins really early and tuition is considered a means to improve their children's grades and to help them keep up with others. I came from a non-tuition background and I did not have really good grades (average student). However, in this current era and context, I am not sure how receptive parents are to not providing any tuition to their kids. In fact, some parents might put in the extra hours at work just to provide tuition for their kids.

Controversial indeed. 

Would you consider investing the money for your child instead even though there might be a need for tuition? 

Even though, I never had a tuition day in my life, I am not sure.

What about the child?


The child will definitely be very happy not to spend the hours on tuition. This is an assumption. I believe there are kids that genuinely want tuition for better grades.

If I had inherited a S$340,000 portfolio immediately after I graduated from polytechnic, I would be ecstatic. At that age, I would not have managed such a big sum of money before. $10,000 was already a big sum. The tendency of spending the inherited portfolio will be high. I probably would not know how to manage it in the first place. It might be a case just like how many millionaire lottery winners lose their fortune eventually.

Really wonder how many parents would consider this plan.


Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. You are right that most parents will pay for tuition over saving and investing.

    Most people are not familiar with investing their money. Tuition, however, is something that people can relate to. It is easy to identify the “smart” people who are earning a lot more money by studying hard. Just look at the ministers.

    Also, I suspect tournament theory is at play with our system. Study hard, get a President/PSC scholarship and the paths are paved with gold for you. The rewards for the cream of the cohort are high and provide tremendous network to leverage for future gains. Everyone is jostling for the marginal advantage and is willing to throw resources at it. Winner takes it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The marginal advantage with the additional resources some kids have over others.

      I was wondering, if the parents have invested the money instead, with the invested money they would not require the kids to take care of them financially, that is an edge over many of their peers for their children. With reference to the sandwich class.

      I have seen some of my older peers investing 6 figures on their kid's overseas education. That took a toil on their retirement spending.

      Delete
  2. most of us survive without much or heavily paid tuition to survive through secondary school. I do not which to burden myself n give stress to my child if any. Probably some help from the weak subject and rather let them go explore other interest they may like. Be it art, programming, sports.

    Then again, your other half have to agree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desmond, just enough tuition might be a slightly better option. Not overbearing that it kills all interest in education. The other half might have a different take. We just have to communicate, I Guess, what's best for everyone.

      Delete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete