image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

Without a car, one year on... Uberizing!


After driving for the last 8 years, I decided to "throw in the towel" last year. It was a painful decision as I had to familiarize myself with the public transport again.

What have I gained? Money. More spare cash.

What have I lost? Some convenience.

After 8 years...

Taking the train was initially uncomfortable - the crowd during peak hours, the stuffy trains at times (when the air-con does not seem to be working), etc. There are always reasons not to like public transportation.

However, it has, technically saved time. The morning commute to the office is shorter now. I am working in the city and it is a direct station to station travel. There is no need for additional transfers, in my case.

Driving in the morning is not necessarily that convenient with the morning traffic jam. Taking the train also excludes the annoyance of paying the ERP and FINDING PARKING LOTS. Furthermore, I have began reading during the morning commute and this is something I appreciate a lot.




Uber, Grab Car, and Taxi

Apart from the train, I rely, occasionally, with taxi trips. At times, I will choose the mode that provides me with the earliest pick-up. But most of the time, I will just compare the prices and go with the cheapest option.

I like Uber and Grab because their pricing are pretty straightforward. Of course, having to choose the option of UberX and GrabCar (Economy).

UberX - Base Rate: S$3.00; Per KM: S$0.45; Per Minute: S$0.20
GrabCar (Economy) - Base Rate: S$3.00; Per KM: S$0.80.

Taxis, on the other hand, have so many sur-charges that even a Singaporean like me can't remember. There are peak hour charges (25%), midnight charges (50%), CBD charges ($3), booking fees etc.

Having said that, I do notice that Taxi fares might be comparable (or even cheaper) to UberX and GrabCar (Ecomony) during non-peak hours excluding the booking fee. If you flag down a taxi, chances are, the fare will be cheaper during non-peak hours.

For the record, I personally feel UberX has cheaper fares compared to GrabCar (Economy) as long as there isn't a massive jam. I will also stay away from UberX or GrabCar (Economy) if there is a price surge.

Money Saved

I never really knew how much exactly was it to maintain a car monthly. There are always the additional hidden costs in some months - maintenance, extra parking fees, ERP charges, traffic fines, parking fines etc. The total amount could range from S$1,200 to S$1,800 a month.

My transportation cost now, is down to only S$300 to S$400 monthly. It can even be as low as S$200 if I did not splurge on taxi/private car hire fares.

Conclusion

I do miss the convenience of driving - when I want and wherever I want. But, the money saved is definitely a big sum and it could be put to better use. I am still considering if it will be wise to buy a small weekend car when we have kids eventually.

Dilemma indeed. #firstworldproblems


Share this:

CONVERSATION

8 comments:

  1. With COE prices sky high, I may also considering taking public transport instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will miss the car lol

      Delete
    2. Singapore pricing for cars are just ridiculously high.

      End of the day, it's not just the money it's also about the "marginal utility" in utilizing a car.

      There r consideration in single, family, work requirements, even peer pressure sometimes (many don't agree but it's true) etc...


      Delete
    3. Rolf Suey, peer pressure is something very real and i believe has a strong influence. Especially when you start to change to a bigger and bigger and bigger car.

      Delete
  2. BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}
    Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 4 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 72hrs
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    Whats-app us on +918929509036

    ReplyDelete