image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

What is your (popular) excuse for putting off retirement planning?


Last night, I was reading some financial news on my iPhone when I came across an article on CNBC - "Start retirement plans ... NOW! (dated 28 Aug 2014)". The headline caught my attention. However, the excuses for putting off retirement planning at the end of the article are what I would like to highlight.

So here are some popular excuses (used by the Americans) for putting off their retirement planning: 

1. "I am just too busy."

2. "It's too soon to think about retirement."

3. "I waited too long, so it's too late for me to put enough money away."

4. "I can't do it now, because my finances are a mess."

5. "I don't have enough money to start planning for retirement - but my kids will take care of me."

6. "What's the different? My plan is to work until i drop dead, anyway."

The Americans seem to have pretty much the same excuses. Thinking that you are still far from retirement is definitely a valid excuse.  I used it, especially in my early 20s. Naive thinking. 10 years have passed so quickly. Filial piety is considered a key virtue in Asian culture. I believe your kids will definitely (hopefully) take care of you as you age. But they probably would not be able to provide you an income that you were earning prior to your retirement or an income to sustain your lifestyle. Anyway, I wonder what are the other excuses that will be used by Singaporeans.

For satirical purpose, let me propose a few Singaporean excuses:

1. "No need plan la. Government will take care of me!"

2. "I got CPF. I got HDB (housing). More than enough."

3. "I don't know how leh..."

For most of us, excuses will just derail any retirement plans you intended to have. For these people, my advise is to start early. There will always be temptation to buy an expensive continental car (even with our super high COE; even though cars in Singapore are the most expensive in the world); go on an European vacation or multiple vacations to Bangkok; or indulging on our favourite hobby - Shopping. Yes, we have to indulge at times after working so hard. But do it with your retirement plan at the back of your mind. 

Let us not be excessive in our spending (splurging on unnecessary items) or saving (save like scrooge). A balance approach is always better. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment