image1 image2 image3

Route to Passive Income

It is never too early to plan for retirement

Minimum Sum of S$564,797 in Year 2047?

Just few months back, I received a cold call asking if I was interested in an annuity product from an established insurance company. I decided to hear more from the agent and fixed a date for a coffee.

Of course, I learned about their annuity product - why Singaporeans need it (blah... blah... blah...)? Retirement is getting expensive, etc. (blah... blah... blah...)?

The conversation led to the CPF Minimum Sum. These agents sure know how to lead the conversation to "why we must think about our retirement" (and their annuity products) NOW!

The agent recapped the history of the CPF Minimum Sum. He reminded me of the adjusted Minimum Sum for inflation. CPF Members who turned 55 back in 2014 had to set aside S$155,000 in their CPF-RA to receive a monthly payout of about S$1,200 when they turn 65. Next, he emphasized on the Minimum Sum for the current cohort (2015) was S$161,000. That was a S$6,000 jump.

Next, he showed  me this table (below):


Based on their calculation, the projected Minimum Sum will be S$564,797 in Year 2047. Just imagine that they were right!

Wake up! Minimum Sum will definitely go up

Cost of living will definitely go up. So will our Minimum Sum. Even, if the projection was wrong +- 20%, it will still be a big sum. If that doesn't wake you up to do something now, then just pray your kid/s or someone will be able to take care of your retirement expenses. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

5 comments:

  1. The only certainty is we will need a huge sum of money when we retired years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a certain. just have to wait for the announcements

      Delete
  2. Let's do the math...

    Assumption
    Age 25, earn $6K (max contribution ceiling)
    contribute 30.
    Monthly SA contribution $360
    Interest rate 4%

    30 year later..
    Total principle : 129,960
    Interest amount : 118,712
    Maturity value : 248,672

    Do you think G will raise the SA ceiling to unrealistic level?

    Yes, unless the OA/SA/MA ratio change more % towards SA

    or...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete